Welcome to NMSU Grants, Veterans!
To the proud few there is no higher honor than serving in our country’s military. That is why it is vital as a higher education institution that NMSU Grants shows due respect, appreciation, and gratitude to members of the armed forces, and to the veterans that have served in its ranks. NMSU strives tirelessly to express its appreciation for our troops and accommodate them, however, best we can. It is our mission and our goal to lead the way in establishing ourselves as the national destination for the armed forces in their academic pursuits.
Among all universities in the NMSU system, each campus is highly competitive seeking to outdo one another. Through fierce determination NMSU Grants is looking to set a precedent. Forward thinking and ambitious, we improve everyday in our efforts. We are always open to improvement and hope veterans see our willingness and desire to serve them as they have served us.
8 Keys to Veteran Student Success:
1. Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
2. Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
3. Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
4. Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them. (even if limited in size)
5. Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
6. Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
7. Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
8. Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
Veterans, you may be eligible to receive Veteran’s Assistance (VA) educational benefits. To do so, please apply online at VA.gov or click the icon at the bottom of the page. Meet with a Certifying VA Official in Student Services to complete paperwork and register for approved courses “every semester.”
Chapters 30, 1607 and 1606 Verifying Enrollment: 1-877-823-2378
You must verify enrollment at the end of each month
Compliance & Notification
Veterans must notify their Veteran’s adviser when any of the following occur:
- Dropping/adding a course
- Withdrawing from the university
- Cease attending classes
- Change of Address
- Change in Educational Major
A student receiving VA benefits who is pursuing an Associate Degree or a Certificate offered by NMSU Grants must adhere to the curriculum of that program. Failure to do so will result in the student being certified for less than full-time status or becoming liable for an overpayment.
It is the Veteran’s responsibility to work with the Certifying Official (CO) every semester to ensure proper payment and certification. Notify your CO as soon as possible if your payment does not appear to be correct. If you suspect any willful noncompliance, please consult the Policy Protecting Students from Fees and Penalties Due to VA Payment Delay for information regarding your rights, protections, and responsibilities.
An NMSU-issued policy compliance form can be downloaded from the dropdown menu, or you may visit NMSU’s official Military & Veterans Programs website for additional information.