Canvas Learning Management System (LMS)
What is Canvas?
- A Learning Management System (LMS); the platform for online learning and course administration.
- The name of the LMS produced by Instructure.
- The LMS adopted for use throughout the NMSU system in 2012, replacing the Blackboard LMS
- A web-based application, so to use it you’ll need an Internet connection
- Canvas recommends that you use the Firefox (by Mozilla) browser; Safari and Chrome are okay to use, but Internet Explorer (especially Version 8) is not recommended.
- You should make sure you have the latest updates for Java and Flash installed for your browser.
- There are Canvas apps available for iOS and Android devices.
- If you have questions or run into problems with Canvas, contact David Stokowski at 287-6657 or by email.
How to access Canvas
All online courses will use Canvas. Many regular classroom courses will use certain features of Canvas, like the Gradebook. Your courses that use Canvas will automatically show up under “Courses” when you login to Canvas.
There are several ways that you can get into the Canvas system. In each case, use your regular MyNMSU username and password.
- http://my.nmsu.edu, then look for the Canvas link
- http://grants.nmsu.edu, look for Canvas link in the right sidebar
Learn about Canvas
Introduction to Canvas, Part 1 of 2
Introduction Canvas, Part 2 of 2
The following resources are consolidated at the NMSU Grants Student Support Canvas Course:
- Are you ready for an online course?
- Video Overview of Canvas for Students, 1 of 2 (9:54)
- Video Overview of Canvas for Students, 2 of 2 (11:06)
- NMSU Student Technology Resources
- Instructure Canvas Student Orientation, 12 tutorials
- Instructure Canvas Student Quickstart Guide (FAQs)
- Profile of an Online Student (FYI)
2,975 total views, 4 views today