Canvas Student Orientation
What is Canvas?
- Learning Management System (LMS); platform for online learning and course administration
- Name of the product produced by the company Instructure (www.instructure.com)
- Adopted by NMSU in 2012, replaces Blackboard LMS
- Web-based, just like any other website it requires an Internet connection
- Recommended browser: Firefox (by Mozilla)
- Safari, Chrome okay
- Internet Explorer (Microsoft) is not recommended
- Need latest updates for Java and Flash
- Canvas apps available for iOS and Android devices
How to access Canvas?
- Several ways:
- http://learn.nmsu.edu – direct
- http://nmsu.instructure.com – direct
- http://my.nmsu.edu – Canvas link
- http://grants.nmsu.edu – Canvas link
- Same login (username, password) as my.nmsu.edu; nmsu email address
- Automatically added to Canvas courses via Banner
- All online courses use Canvas
- Some regular face-to-face classes will use some Canvas features
Learn about Canvas
The following resources are consolidated at the Canvas Student Support Course.
- Student Orientation handout (this)
- Are you ready for an online course?
- Video Overview of Canvas for Students, 1 of 2 (9:54)
- Video Overview of Canvas for Students, 2 of 2 (11:06)
- NMSU Student Technology Resources
- Instructure Canvas Student Orientation, 12 tutorials
- Instructure Canvas Student Quickstart Guide (FAQs)
- Profile of an Online Student (FYI)
2,467 total views, 7 views today